My new designer bag

Friends, this is perhaps my finest hour. Well. I hope it’s not my finest hour, but I did feel very accomplished when I finished this little bag. Any finished object is a victory. A finished object that didn’t spend three months languishing on a shelf? That’s a blow out, with Sewing, in soccer style, losing to me by one point. (Other ways in which sewing is like soccer: it’s boring to watch, I pretend to hurt myself a lot, and when I finish something I tear off my shirt and run around the house screaming.) But when I finish something in a timely manner, that’s also useable, and that I did not use a pattern for (a.k.a. designed), that’s a real triumph from which I may never recover.

Ta-da!

Although “design” is a grandiose word to describe what I’ve actually done here, I’m not backing down. I skimmed a few tote bag tutorials, and ended up following this tutorial from Design Sponge*. I know that my bag looks nothing like the bag in the tutorial, even though I wish it did, but the instructions are easy to follow for the bag part, and when it came to straps and pockets, I was able to just wing it (a.k.a. design it).

It’s a very versatile bag. You can pretend to look for things in it…

… or pretend to stroll through your neighborhood with it.

I got this lovely Amy Butler canvas from a friend, and I’ve used it to make so many things. Mainly bags to organize my knitting and to put my knitting bags in. See below.

See? Matching bags.

Long story short: I like my bag, probably more than usual because I’m the one who made it.

*Citing dilemma: Do I site Design Sponge for the tutorial even though it was created by one of my favorite sewing blogger of all time, Renske Solkesz of The dress I made? She designs (for real) and sews the best things. Do I cite them both in the text, should I include a footnote, or should I trust my reader to click thru to find out the full story? More importatnly, do these questions make me seem crazy?

Advertisements
Standard

Ok. Now smock it to me!

Smock in repose.

I finally moved my sewing machine and doodads downstairs and got set up on a big table with room for cutting and sewing. Makes all the difference. Of all the obstacles that keep me from sewing, I think hunching over a pattern on the floor to trace and cut was both the worst and the easiest to remedy. Now that I’ve solved that problem, I’ve finally finished up a shirt that’s been in the works for months.

I was trying so hard to look normal in this picture, but my hair had other plans.

This shirt started life as a humongous collared button up that I found at a thrift store. I originally tried to make it a slightly less humongous button up, but the fabric (silk! for $0.90! haha!) defeated me. I decided to turn it in to a tank top based on Collete’s Sorbetto (the mother of all tank tops). Why making a tank top would help me work with the fabric is difficult to understand now, but it made sense at the time. Anyways, I stumbled along, figured out I needed a special needle to work with silk, stumbled a little more gracefully, then I got to the neckline. I thought I would peter pan collar it, but that seemed like too much work for, lets be real here, a trend that doesn’t look that good on me and will probably be out by the time I figure out how to do it. So bias binding it is! Now I just have to figure out how to that…

Look. I found a tree.

Three months later, a shirt is born! A strange and deeply flawed shirt. I wasn’t going to tell you how flawed it is, but I just can’t do it. In place of confidence, I’ve opted to tell people that this shirt has serious problems, but not pointing the issues out like I’d usually do. It’s a step in the right direction. And during lulls in the conversation, my companion can pass the time surreptitiously looking for wavy seams and loose threads. Everybody wins!

Next time, a tutorial on tree climbing. First, strap on your sandals…

Standard